VIN’s Office Administration volunteer program is fit for volunteers who would like to be a part of the empowerment cause in Nepal, but would rather use their organizational and language proficiency skills within the VIN office headquarters than be in the rural areas of Nepal.
You as a volunteer would spend equal hours as the staff in the VIN office, utilizing your English skills, correcting and rewriting website content, writing up VIN newsletters that should include updates on VIN program accomplishments and activities, tracking volunteer placements on spreadsheets, handling outgoing emails on behalf of VIN, and overall, being an integral part of the workings of the office, from a day to day basis. This volunteering opportunity can be seen as good work experience with altruistic intentions for the less fortunate of Nepal.
VINs office is based in Balaju, Kathmandu. This is where the Volunteer Office Administrator is stationed, working alongside the other 5 full-time office-based VIN staff.
From here, all of VIN’s programs are run (including Women’s Development; Children’s Development; Youth Development; Teacher Development; the Health program and placements in Monasteries and Nunneries); volunteers (both international and local) are coordinated; financial accounts are kept and all contracts and documentation are maintained and kept up to date.
An Office Administrator, fluent in written and spoken English, is needed to assist in office administration; to review and improve procedures and ensure all VIN documentation is grammatically and factually correct and up-to-date.
Achievements made to date in this role include assistance in the re-designing of the VIN website and brochure (including the checking and redrafting of the content); production of information sheets; advice on procedures and the re-launching of the sponsorship campaign.
There are still numerous administration aspects which can be improved upon and enhanced, by a dynamic and conscientious volunteer.
This role is ideal for those wishing to gain insight into the administration of a grassroots NGO/ volunteer organization and is suitable for candidates wanting to volunteer whilst traveling; on a career break or in the process of making a career transition to the social work sector. Volunteer Role
• Proof reading, reviewing and editing all VIN documentation, including website text.
• Assistance in the production and distribution of a monthly VIN newsletter.
• Updating the VIN website.
• Helping manage incoming and outgoing e-mails.
• Implementing and enhancing spreadsheets to help track volunteer placements, finances, etc.
• Suggesting ways to improve and formalize the basic administration of projects and for correspondence with volunteers and partner organizations.
• General office administration and assistance in the day-to-day running of operations.Example of a typical day
• The Office Administrator will work the same hours and days as the full time office based VIN staff i.e. Sunday to Friday, 10am to 5pm.
• The position is mainly office based, but there will be opportunities to visit VIN’s different projects in the community.
• The Office Administrator will be responsible for prioritizing their workload each day, with the support of the Executive Director and Program Coordinator.Required Qualifications and Experience
• Fluent spoken and written English
• Knowledge of Microsoft word and excel
• Ability to write clearly and succinctly, paying close attention to detail and grammar.
• Previous administration experience useful, but not essential.
- Complete on-line application form, and send with CV and 2 contact details for 2 referees;
- Await confirmation from VIN for acceptance on to volunteer program;
- Pay $100 program booking fee (non-refundable);
- VIN will confirm payment and send pre-departure pack;
- Full payment for the volunteer placement will be paid during your induction.